internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lance A. Brown" <lance AT bearcircle.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:59:00 -0500

Kevin Sonney wrote:
> I am going to offer a different suggestion : don't pay for a
> certificate, use CACert (http://www.cacert.org). From their about page
> :
>
> CAcert.org is a community driven, Certificate Authority that issues
> certificates to the public at large for free.
>
> CAcert's goal is to promote awareness and education on computer
> security through the use of encryption, specifically with the X.509
> family of standards. We have compiled a document base that has helpful
> hints and tips on setting up encryption with common software, and
> general information about Public Key Infrastructures (PKI).
>
> (more at http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=12)

Only problem with them is that they have not gotten their Root CA
accepted by any browser makers yet so people get the annoying do you
trust this cert message when they visit your site.

I love the idea, am a CACert.org Assurer, and hope one day to see their
root CA in browsers.

--[Lance]

--
Celebrate The Circle http://www.celebratethecircle.org/