internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] portable DVD players

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] portable DVD players
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:25:50 -0500

On Oct 31, 2005, at 8:34 AM, Deborah Ellington wrote:

I want to purchase a portable DVD player for car use only and don't
really know where to begin, so I'm turning to the expert minds here.

What we did for years is I take my laptop on trips, and then sit next to our daughter and watch the show with her, making sure the laptop doesn't get damaged. Of course, the prerequisite is actually liking to watch Toy Story 2 for the 15th time!

Just this weekend, though, the laptop was replaced with the video iPod. After wanting an iPod for years, I finally caved in and got a 60GB unit. They all are video capable now, and I hadn't expected the video on the small screen to be very good, but the picture quality is amazing, which overcomes the screen size. I transferred my daughter's favorite DVDs to the thing, and she now prefers watching on the small screen. You can compress a two hour movie down to around 250MB, so there's plenty of room on the drive for movies and my entire music collection.

I had read several commentaries making fun of the video capability, but:

1. you get it for free.
2. the picture quality is really great.

Along with the iPod I bought an Alpine iPod-ready car stereo where you can lock the iPod in the glove compartment and control it from the stereo controls. My previous cars didn't even have so much as a cassette deck so this is a big change.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC