internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] connectivity choices for small business?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Rasch <rasch AT raschnet.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] connectivity choices for small business?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:12:21 -0500

Just out of curiosity, could you give us an idea of what size organization you're working with?
At $WORK, we share a T-1 among 30+ employees without issue. Just for reference, this is symmetric at 1.5M. We've setup some traffic shaping, and so long as you aren't doing a lot of serving across your 384k upstream bandwidth, I'd imagine the downstream would easily scale to close to 100 employees for email, and heavy web usage.
My only point is that perhaps there's some optimization or configuration that could be done to make the most of the current connection.
Alternatively, it's possible your usage patterns are considerably more demanding than ours and you do need to up your downstream bandwidth.

Best of luck,
David

Tony Spencer wrote:

Funny. I was just giving our rep a hard time about this a couple of days
ago. She agreed that their pricing structure was outdated and she says they
have been discussing lowering it but seems to me that they need to come down
A LOT. This is why I'm looking at the Speakeasy OneLink 6Mx768k for a
fraction of the price that TW is asking.
TimeWarner's real problem is that they don't offer a solution for small
business who want more downstream but don't need 2Mbps upstream.