internetworkers - [internetworkers] web 2.0 tag relationship visualization tool?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] web 2.0 tag relationship visualization tool?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:15:10 -0400

OK, so I know a lot of you guys work with so-called "web2.0" tools and
such.... there's something I want to do, and I don't know whether it's
already out there available somewhere, or if it would have to be created
(and if so, how hard it would be to build- i'm not a coder).

Some of you may have seen the so-called "LiveJournal MindMap" that went
around some time ago - it's basically a network-type
graphing/visualization of the congruities of listed interests between
various people on a user's "friends list." A similar graph was the one
that showed all the linkages between the various 9/11 terrorists that
went around the 'net, where it was easy to tell who the "ringleaders"
were because they showed up as "nodes." I like these types of
representations because I think graphically - you can talk for an hour,
or give me a diagram and five minutes to ask questions about it, and
I'll get about the same understanding.

So given this, here's what I want: I want to be able to dynamically get
a similar network-graphical visualization of the linkages/relationships
between my tags on de.licio.us. Even better would be the ability to do
such a tag-mapping including more than one de.licio.us user. Even
better would be to make it generic to tag libraries, so that it could be
used with Technorati tags in a blog, or LJ tags, simply by providing a
site name or user name or some such. I would think this might be a good
sort of "zeitgeisting" analysis tool, to uncover unusual focal points or
unexpected connections.

I'm not 100% up to speed on all the latest tech out there for the
"web2.0" stuff, so pardon me if this is obviously and readily available
somewhere already. If not, any ideas where to look? Or anyone who would
want to help me build it?

Paula

ps.: http://de.licio.us/katuah