internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Great News for The Lords of Washington DC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Great News for The Lords of Washington DC
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:18:07 -0500 (EST)

from Bruce:

After I wrote that I read an article in a magazine (Vanity Fair I think)
that said Night Club goers in Spain were letting the owner insert an
electronic ID device under their skin so they didn't have to wait at the
door with a paper ID. CRAZY!

Perhaps we are getting TOO comfortable with technology. What do you
think?

"getting"?? No, we've BEEN too comfortable with technology. That's just a human trait. If some cavedude thousands of years ago figured out that the glow-in-the-dark rocks killed his enemies/prey faster, he wouldn't hesitate to start making arrowheads out of it. It would only be much later, when he starts glowing himself, that he might reconsider the
wisdom of his actions, but of course by then it's too late.

Face it. The new-technology-development-cycle we use is completely, obviously, and irrevocably insane, but that's what you get when the overriding motivation for development is profit.

--s