internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:56:32 -0500

Hey Deborah --

I would highly recommend a dual-processor PowerMac tower. Laptops have no advantage other than portability. And you've already seen how much portability you need on an average basis.

Now normally I would only recommend "going forward" with technology, in this case only buying a G5-based machine. However, while discussing video editing and its taxing nature with one of the folks who run the Media Resource Center in R.B. House library today, I found that they are seeing some dual-G4 machines outperform single-G5 1.8 Ghz machines.

This feedback was limited to Final Cut Pro and was, of course, heresay. (It also contradicts the speed figures Apple released concerning G4 vs. G5). Regardless, these are folks who work with video a lot and whom I trust and also whom would have little reason to deceive me with product information. I asked if they saw the same performance benefit for Photoshop manipulation and he was not so sure. More tests are in the works.

Long story short: a dual-processor PowerMac and nice big LCD should suit you just fine. (Tell them you *have* to have it!)

Best wishes on your new adventure!
dave m.