internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:25:41 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Deborah Ellington wrote:
I'm ordering a new computer for my new job. I can ask for whatever I would
like. Doesn't mean I will get it, but the odds are good. Currently I have a
G4 Powerbook with an 800 MHz processor and 1 GB SDRAM. It seems to work fine
but it gets a little bogged down sometimes when I am trying to edit video. I
wish it would be a little snappier on that score. But I don't know gigahertz
from whatever so I don't know which number should be higher in order to get
better video editing performance. I guess it would also be nice if Photoshop
rendered a little faster when I am doing some mega-filter thing.

My other issue is I don't know that I really need a Powerbook. Can't I get
more performance for less cost by going to a G5 tower? In my entire
employment here I think the Powerbook has left my desk maybe three times. It
is always connected to an external monitor on my desk. If I REALLY needed to
take a Powerbook somewhere I guess I could just bring my personal Powerbook
from home. So I'm leaning towards the tower.

What would y'all do?

I'm a big fan of the powerbooks, but if you do already have one a dual processor G5 with a bunch of RAM (2GB or more) would rock your socks off.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport