internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac Integration Comes With a Hidden Cost??!?!?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, info AT mindbenderstudios.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac Integration Comes With a Hidden Cost??!?!?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:46:36 -0500

On Dec 28, 2004, at 12:48 PM, MBS wrote:
new software. If most are clients, contractors, suppliers are
on windows, I have a sneaky suspicion that integration would
come with a hidden cost called incompatibility surprise.

From a business perspective I don't see many hidden costs. I'm sure 'software' jumps to mind but if you're buying a new PC wouldn't you also be either a) be updating the OS and apps to the current level or b) be purchasing new licenses for the new PC of existing apps you have on other PCs? With a new Mac purchase it's pretty much the same deal.

My personal list of Must Purchase software for my Mac:

- MS Office
- BBEdit
- Quicken
- Adobe Photoshop Elements

Everything else is free or comes with the purchase:

- Firebird or Mozilla
- Various IM clients
- iLife applicatons (music, video, photos, dvds, etc)
- DVD and CDR burning
- NetNewsWire Lite (RSS reader)

--
Scott