internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac Integration Comes With a Hidden Cost??!?!?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: info AT mindbenderstudios.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac Integration Comes With a Hidden Cost??!?!?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:10:59 -0500

On Dec 28, 2004, at 12:48 PM, MBS wrote:
The one piece missing from the conversation on how wonderful
the MAC OS is is the cost of integration.

True enough, it's something to consider.

Unless you work with only free software, buying Mac apps can be most of the up-front cost of "switching". Before making the jump, I listed all of my "must have" software and figure the cost of replacing it. Some of my apps had to be purchased, but several have been replaced with high-quality free alternatives. (In the case of QuickBooks, I decided to keep running a dedicated PC. God, what a racket.)

I have spent some time learning to connect to my clients' Windows networks, VPNs and the like. Often things "just work", but sometimes not. Most of these issues have to be resolved once, then I'm back up to speed. (And there are lots of online communities with ready answers to these issues.)

On the other hand, I spend very little energy on fighting virii, spyware, re-installating the OS, etc. Based on the horror stories I'm reading, it just might be a wash.

I certainly have no regrets.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media