internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:27:41 -0500 (EST)

I think it's splitting hairs mighty fine to say, Oh, well, because one thing referenced in the article may have been misunderstood, the whole criticism must not be worth our time.

The congressman in question isn't opposed to teaching abstinence as the ultimate insurance policy - as he states clearly in the article. The congressman in question is trying to point out that a raftload of inaccuracies and misrepresentations and purposefully misleading "information" is present in the sex-ed curricula of half the states in the country. I assure you, I would be just as tweaked if the article stated that due to dogmatic curriculum choices the feds had funded geology curricula which taught the Earth is flat in half our states - and I think that's precisely the most appropriate simile I can come up with on the spur of the moment. It's more than offensive to me, it's /factually in error/. It's endangering people's lives, for pete's sakes.

At what point in the misrepresentation of health science information should I start to get heartburn? Should I wait until it affects someone in my family? Should I wait until I read some kid who was taught that half of gay teens already have HIV said to himself, well hell, the odds are against me already why bother with condoms? Or should I just say my prayers and hope it gets better?

--
Michael Williams "Also, there's a monkey in a diaper with michael AT ibiblio.org a machine gun. I don't understand www.ibiblio.org/michael it at all. But it's on your side."
www.robustmcmanlypants.org/blog/ --Mr. Saturday