internetworkers - [internetworkers] Color Verses Substance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "MBS" <info AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Color Verses Substance
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:34:29 -0500

>I'd rather tell them up front and have them go elsewhere if they've got a
>problem with it. Call it like it is.

Whether or not you use a fancy color laden brochure, a color
copier or something even more basic should ultimately be driven
by, 1, what are the expectation of your market niche 2. what will
communicate your message in style and substance best and 3.
what is your competition doing to go the extra mile in communicating
with your market niche.

Stressing the word "Niche". As a small business that you probably
can't afford to court your entire market, nor if you win 1 or 2 clients
that aren't a perfect fit your size, throughput , style and specialty,
you probably can't afford to serve them and still grow you business.
Thus it is crucial to target the specific niche that you match your
capabilities best. In other words market to what is probable and leave
what is possible until you have more though-put capability

Lastly the imagery should support the text message. So fancy colors
unto themselves does not an effective communication piece make.
I've seen numerous smart people push thousands of dollars in
business away by showing up with the wrong message, wrong image,
wrong style and bad timing.

I hope I don't step on any toes if I mention that tech folks are infamous
for intellectually bludgeoning new opportunities.

Steve S