internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] one-fingered victory salute

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] one-fingered victory salute
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:27:29 -0400 (EDT)

I don't find it offensive that he flips off the camera, but it would
certainly scandalize my mother and plenty of other conservative Christians
who like to think good people such as Furious George don't or shouldn't do
naughty things like say (or digitally indicate) the F-word. I don't
consider it problematic, but I do consider it childish and at odds with
his Bible-dependent persona.

To say that it's negated by "everyone" doing it is a fallacious argument
(even if "everyone" does, not everyone is a governor, on camera - it's an
uneven comparison). Whether or not everyone does it is at best moot and
at worst distracting from a better question: do we want a President
whose best expression of wit can be matched by any tie-around-his-head,
drunken fratboy* after a winning homecoming game?

Ultimately my main criticism is that it's un-Presidential. That term may
sound awfully familiar to some folks, given it's what we heard over and
over and over and over and over in the 1990's. But remember, W. restored
dignity to the office, right? Apparently dignity takes the form of a
bird.

Oh, dang, time for my asbestos undies. They do itch so!

--
* For purposes of full-disclosure, I was President of my fraternity in
college, twice. We weren't exactly your standard fratboys, but still, I

--
Michael Williams "Also, there's a monkey in a diaper with
michael AT ibiblio.org a machine gun. I don't understand