internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:46:55 -0400

On 10/1/04 2:26 PM, "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> H. Wade Minter said:
>> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Parker, David X wrote:
>>
>>> Just as I expected would happen, liberals think Kerry did
>>> a bang-up job, and conservatives think he stunk up the place.
>>
>> You forgot Poland.
>> What does Poland think?
>>

> oh that's right. it's not just America, it's the rest of our grand
> coalition too. let's see what the Brits and Aussies think too.

I don't understand how George Bush maintained a straight face when
describing the coalition of nearly forty nations he assembled.

What about Poland? Sure, they have about 2,400 troops in theater. To put
that number in perspective, the NC National Guard has about 12,000 members
<http://www.nc.ngb.army.mil/pao/default.asp>. The 30th Heavy Separate
Brigade (a National Guard unit headquartered in NC with 5,000 troops
deployed) alone has nearly twice as many troops as Poland in Iraq (as well
as more more than the bottom 30 coalition members combined).

According to GlobalSecurity.org:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_orbat_coalition.htm

About 80% of these countries have fewer than 1,000 troops in theater at this
time. Nearly 40% have fewer than 100 troops, and close to 20% have 0.

United States: 170,000
United Kingdom: 12,000
Remaining 36 members: 16,630

>From these numbers, looks like the US is doing it alone, despite Bush's