internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:09:57 -0400

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

Hey, you gotta back up your computer anyway :-)

Because of the huge convenience I'm now buying from iTunes first, and only then looking for a CD. The sheer storage requirements of CDs has become a problem, and I'm loath to add any more. There's two towers of CDs in the house, and the rest were boxed up and are being stored at my office.

Believe me, I feel the pain of CD storage. But even as good as the compressed formats are these days, there's still a fidelity/convenience trade-off. Depending on the work in question I may or may not choose one over the other.

I do backup my digital collection, but adding all my CDs ripped losslessly would push the size w/backup to about a Terabyte of data. That'll be cost effective sometime before too long and the back catalog can go into storage then.

I /have/ mostly stopped using cassettes.

--rt