internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: U-O, O-O [ASIDE]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: U-O, O-O [ASIDE]
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:02:37 -0400

I don't happen to believe that Bush whipped up a story about Saddam's weapons. In fact, it's rather obvious that Saddam did that himself, by interfering with inspections and generally sending mixed signals. Apparently he thought this would enhance his stature in the region, or somesuch, and none of the spooks was able to grok his crazy-like-a-fox strategy, so here we are.

It was very much in Sadam's interest to send mixed signals on WMDs. As long as nobody could prove their presence, or their absence, then he could continue to use them as a deterrent while denying that they existed. With his military in a sorry state he depended on uncertainty about his weapons to keep his enemys at bay -- both his internal enemies such as the Kurds and his external enemies such as Iran and the Turks.
BigLee