internetworkers - Re: SPF (was: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Hi])

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: SPF (was: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Hi])
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Why doesn't Ibiblio implement SPF ( http://spf.pobox.com/ )? This would
> seem to take care of these virus-initiated forgeries. Or would SPF stop
> people from mailing from anything but Ibiblio's mailservers?

Disclaimer: While I have an account, I certainly don't speak for ibiblio.

For monster domains (AOL, earthlink), where you want to force compliance
and don't believe in exceptions, SPF would work decently.
For vanity domains (myname.tld), where I always use the same server(s),
it'd work perfectly.

ibiblio, with lotsa users (even fairly technical ones), is likely a bad
match for SPF. People are not required/guaranteed to send ibiblio.org
mail via its servers, and it'd probably be a pain to explain it/enforce
such a policy to a large, loosely-connected userbase.

<opinion type="inflamatory">
Besides, SPF is a TXT-overloading kludge. Suffer the standards process
like everyone else.
</opinion>