internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Jurors [was: legal outrage...]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Jurors [was: legal outrage...]
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:25:54 -0400 (EDT)

Gods bless you both for doing your civic duty, moreso for being
levelheaded about it.

It's funny you should ask, Tanner. The short answer is, no, I've never
been called to jury duty. The long answer is that I've known quite a few
people (I can add two to the list now) who have been called. I would like
to sit on a jury, but I've never received a notice. I'm beginning to
think someone in the bureauocracy knows what my opinion of jury trials
is...

Idunno. I am heartened by both of your statements, but I'm not convinced.
I realize judges are human also, and therefore also fallible, but I still
believe I would have more faith in three individuals with intimate
knowledge of the law (and in my ideal world (this is my stab at judges),
that knowledge is not simply the letter of the law, but also its spirit or
intent, and a sense for extenuating circumstances (ie. when the law no
longer applies (which *is* one facet of the Judicial Branch))).

If only it were as simple as writing a script for it...

-Alan

In reference to B's message: