internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] are you 'strapped'?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] are you 'strapped'?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:28:25 -0400

and maybe the author should check with some 18-34 yr olds to see if "strapped" is a word they associate with the concept of "without financial means". for many this is perhaps more synonymous with the concept of "carrying a concealed firearm".

--rt

yes this reads like spam, but it's a serious request directed to me by an old buddy Kyle (aka Clark McCabe). if you fit the profile and are willing to speak for your generation ;-> drop a note to Sara.

From: Sararglassman AT aol.com
To: Pjones AT ibiblio.org

I'm helping someone at a think tank do interviews for this amazing new book that REALLY rings true to our generation. (Attached summary at the bottom). I'm looking primarily for 18 to 34 year old men and women (not in NYC) whose lives have been changed bc of financial circumstances --credit card debt, student loans, mortgage payments, lay offs, living pay check to paycheck, unable to pursue true career or educational dreams, etc.

I'm going to do prescreening and then interview 25-30 ppl in depth. Any leads you have are much appreciated. (We will be using pseudonyms so no worries about being identified!)

So. . . if you think this sounds like you, I'd love to chat and/or if you know anyone else who fits the criteria, you can send me their info or have them contact me directly. THANK YOU! Best, Sara

BOOK OVERVIEW

During the height of the tech boom in the late 90s, it was difficult to avoid the impression generated by the news media that legions of 20-somethings were becoming millionaires overnight. The story had many variations, but one resounding theme: young adults were riding the technology wave to great fortune. But the boom masked major pockets of economic anxiety and strife—and distracted attention from the more widespread, bitter reality: it’s harder than ever to get established as an adult. STRAPPED will offer a groundbreaking look at the new obstacle course facing young adults as they try to build careers, buy homes and start families.      This book will examine how and why today’s young adults face unprecedented challenges at each marker toward adulthood: getting an education, finding a job, paying off debt, buying a home and starting a family. The book will connect the economic stagnation of today’s young adults to broader social and cultural changes in America over the last two decades. And it will offer solutions to address the declining economic opportunity and widespread insecurity among adults under 34.
STRAPPED will be the first major examination of the economic well-being of young adults in America. But it won’t stop there. The book will address how young adults’ political attitudes are complicit in the economic struggles that now define their existence. The book will draw on a huge body of evidence, supporting its arguments with government data, public opinion surveys and interviews with young adults. By using young adults as the lens for judging how well America is fulfilling its promise of opportunity, STRAPPED will provide fresh analysis and new insight into the major issues facing the nation. It will help jumpstart a national conversation about where the country is failing and how we can make it right again.

Sara R. Glassman
917 701 7394
saraRglassman AT aol.com

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/