internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Fish & Chips

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: zzd AT contentdb.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Fish & Chips
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:18:37 -0500

On Tuesday, Mar 2, 2004, at 15:58 US/Eastern, zzd wrote:

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 14:55, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
I try the fish and chips in every pub; for some reason I'm a glutton
for punishment, as most of the time you get a tasteless piece of frozen
fish deep fried until it falls apart thrown in a basket next to some
fries.  Maybe that's authentic-- I have no way of knowing,
unfortunately.

Stella, are you reading this? Can you pop out to the local chippy and sample
some fare for a near-time INW report?

All I know is, I've never had fish & chips here like they do it in Scotland. I avoided pub food in England, as it is uniformly tortuous (see quote below). In Scotland, there is "special" fish, which uses bread crumbs rather than batter. Craig makes it here at home and even just shallow-fries it, and it is delicious! I have a feeling Caelan will never understand fish sticks at anyone else's house.

I do like it at the Hibernian, Cary or Raleigh. Avoid RiRa, their f&c are terrible. The Fox & Hound was pretty good, but they have closed. Hibernian does have a fabulous deep-fried Snickers bar dessert, which is worth it in and of itself. :)

<quote>
There is a feeling which persists in England that making a sandwich interesting, attractive, or in any way pleasant to eat is something sinful that only foreigners do.

"Make 'em dry" is the instruction buried somewhere in the collective national consciousness, "make 'em rubbery. If you have to keep the buggers fresh, do it by washing 'em once a week."

It is by eating sandwiches in pubs at Saturday lunchtime that the British seek to atone for whatever their national sins have been. They're not altogether clear what those sins are, and don't want to know either. Sins are not the sort of things one wants to know about. But whatever sins there are are amply atoned for by the sandwiches they make themselves eat.
</quote>

Douglas Adams, _So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish_