internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:23:43 -0400

On 9/4/03 12:32 PM, "David R.Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org> wrote:

> okay, now can anyone give a well-reasoned justification for keeping
> Dubya Bush in office? really, please do elucidate because i am having
> a very difficult time finding any reason(s) to keep him around.
>
> it was bad enough when we were lied to about the election. then more
> lies about why we need to attack Iraq. then the inaccurate figures
> about the cost of the war. then the whole "ignoring the terrible US
> economy and millions of lost jobs" thing.

You forgot to include the energy crisis. Why won't Cheney reveal who helped
determine the nation's energy policies? I think the case is still kicking
around the courts--maybe he will get impeached yet.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B30BCC50B-5175-438A-AFCA-EF
0E4C1C0508%7D&siteid=google&dist=google

"...The GAO report concludes that the task force "met with, solicited input
from, or received information and advice from nonfederal energy
stakeholders, principally petroleum, coal, nuclear, natural gas, and
electricity industry representatives and lobbyists."

The extent to which their input shaped the final report, however, "cannot be
determined based on the limited information made available to the GAO," the
report said.

Efforts to determine the cost of developing the energy program were also
stymied by the refusal of the Office of the Vice President and the Energy
Department to provide comprehensive cost data, GAO said, complaining that of
the 77 pages of information provided by Cheney's office, "two-thirds ...
contained no cost information while the remaining one-third contained some
miscellaneous information of little or no usefulness."

Meanwhile, a separate lawsuit by the conservative watchdog group Judicial
Watch and the Sierra Club, a liberal environmental organization, aiming to
pry loose some of the same information has fared better, with a divided
federal appeals panel earlier this summer ruling that the White House has to
comply with a lower court order to produce requested documents..."

If you want to get into full conspiratorial mode, their are some interesting
links between the energy crisis and the invasion of Iraq:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/6338093.htm

"U.S. got report on Iraqi oil in '01

WASHINGTON -Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force had some interest
in early 2001 in Iraq's oil industry, including which foreign companies were
pursuing business there, according to documents a watchdog group released
Friday.

Judicial Watch, a conservative legal group, obtained task force-related
Commerce Department papers including a detailed map of Iraq's oil fields,
terminals and pipelines, as well as a list titled "Foreign Suitors of Iraqi
Oilfield Contracts." The papers also included a map of oil fields and
pipelines in Saudi Arabia and in the United Arab Emirates, plus a list of
oil and gas development projects in those two countries.

The papers were dated early March 2001, about two months before the Cheney
energy task force completed and announced its report on the administration's
energy needs and future energy agenda. -- ASSOCIATED PRESS"

The maps and other interesting material is here: http://judicialwatch.org/

Just some ideas to keep Dave Matusiak fueled...

David