internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: truly weird, does not appear to be a hoax...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: truly weird, does not appear to be a hoax...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:50:03 -0400

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:56 PM, Maria Winslow wrote:

But the article (the one I read, at least) seemed to imply that the terrorism
prediction market would be public. The number given was 10,000 participants
by the end of the year. If it were to be public, the problem is that the
public has almost zero intelligence on terrorism activities.

It doesn't make sense for the public, but I can see having members of the US intelligence community participating in such a scheme minus the real money aspect. The of the big problems I see with the Iraq war was the response was way out of whack with the threat level. There's only a certain amount of money and effort to be spent, and it makes sense to calculate a return on investment in terms of how much safer we'd be given the amount of money and effort to be spent.

With such a system it would be harder for the government to fake a security concern as a cover for spending huge sums on a war when 95% of the US security system thinks there's 200 other security problems that are larger threats and cheaper to "solve".

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Birdseye Maple 12-String Chapman Stick #499
Chapel Hill, NC