internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Benjamin Brunk <brunkb AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

>I heard (NPR?) that US healthcare is the most expensive per user in the
>world... not covering the whole population, nor giving everyone the same
>level of care. Healthcare money goes further in Canada.

Probably true, but it's also the BEST in the world. Other countries
practice healthcare RATIONING. Giving the government the right to ration
healthcare is giving someone else control over whether your live or
die. National healthcare would mean centralizing 1/7 of the US economy.
With prescription drugs, the government will soon be dictating what drugs
are produced, and who can have them (e.g. they may determine that some
people are TOO OLD and should not receive life-sustaining medicine).
It's fine as long as it's not you or somebody you care about, huh? I
won't even get into the price tag, Medicare is already on the road to
disaster without this. Incidentally, the drug companies spent $135
million lobbying in favor of socialized prescription drugs. Corporatist,
anti-competitive business practices strike again.

Giving everyone the same level of healthcare sounds good, but it means
that you take the bell curve, cut off everything past one standard
deviation, then fit what's left into a smaller rectangle, basically
cutting off anything excess. How inferior. If what we have is so bad,
why do people from Canada, Europe, and Japan (and basically everyone else
in the world with a serious health problem) come to the US for care?

Ben