internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:53:38 -0400

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 10:06 am, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
> But why stop there? Why pay to have a military that sits around most of
> the time? The military is a monopoly just like the police. If
> outsourcing all of the design, operations, and manufacturing duties is
> good for NASA, why wouldn't it be a good way to go for the military?
> Instead of having to pay for soldiers to sit on their butts most of the
> time, you can just hire 'em when you need 'em. It would have to be
> drastically cheaper since especially if took advantage of cheap
> offshore labor.

This has been tried, many times. It has a desing flaw: "outsourced armies"
are
not motivated to die by someone else's wills.

Check Darius and other Syrian and Persian rulers, who had outsourced their
armies, that is, an army made out of conscripts and hired troops.

Once and again (and again and again), "outsourced armies" have failed. And
they are not like software, where you can send a patch to fix it. If they
fail, you are royaly/republicanly scr*w*d.

BTW, this was part of the results of a study I did loooong time ago.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
Stallman Reads my Tutorials! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/Steel/rms.html