internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Joey Carr <joey AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

Thats a great idea! Just think of the market ramifications! Competition
between law enforcement agencies will of course produce better law
enforcement. It will become an employee's market: the different law
enforcement companies will be scrabbling to fill positions and paying much
better than the underfunded state and local governments ever could.

Of course, why stop at law enforcement? It strikes me that there's not
enough free market competition in law *making*. "Legislature for hire",
that's what we need! I can just see it, we'll establish a network of
independent corporate "homelands" which can "bid" for people to become
citizens. Now the American Public will truly have a choice. Think of
it, Nubia might be established at last! Pat Robertson can live happily in
a real Christian theocracy, while I can move to the newly established
Queerasfuckland and never have to worry about Pat legislating against my
right to be sodomized again!

-Joey

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

> It strikes me as obvious that the reason why the public has such
> problems with the police is the local government has a monopoly on law
> enforcement. If the city simply allowed competition from any number of
> security companies, then you could pick and chose the one that fit your
> needs. This way the people who actually use the police will pay for the
> full cost of the services. And the same goes for the fire department.
>
> It wouldn't be a hard change to make. Instead of calling 911 in an
> emergency, you could just call your favorite security company, say a
> subsidiary of Halliburton, who would come and do the same things the
> cops would, but for a fee. If some homeless person was breaking into
> your car, for example, they would just come and haul the bum away and
> stick 'em in their private jail pending trial. And there'd be a range
> of services, like for an added charge police would patrol past your
> house regularly.
>
> And the same goes for the court system. Why should the American Bar
> Association have total control over who's a lawyer? Why not let the
> free market decide who's a good lawyer? If anyone who can string two
> lines of code together can call themselves a programmer, why should I
> have to hire a lawyer with a fancy bar certification just to draw up a
> will?

> _________
> Some try to achieve immortality by performing grand deeds or the
> accumulation of
> great wealth. On the whole I prefer to achieve immortality by not
> dying. -- Pratchett
> -- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC

"I've got 3D stereophonic laser love"
-Lyam Lynch, "Fake David Bowie Song"