internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Iraq and (...shift of topic)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Jason Laughlin)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Iraq and (...shift of topic)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:48:37 -0500

I believe you're referring to the 1984 withdrawal of the US from UNESCO (UN
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
http://www.betterworldfund.org/factsheets/o_24260.shtml

The US has always been a permanent, veto member of the Security Council.
Jason

At 04:29 PM 2/11/2003 -0500, machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:

>speaking of international law...
>
>Does anyone remember the ruckus back when the other members decided they
>didn't want the US on the UN Security Council, and the US Powers That Be
>threw a tantrum, "waaah! fine! I'm taking my ball and going home ... oh,
>and by the way, I'm not gonna pay my dues anymore either!"...?
>
>I never really paid attention to the follow-up on that, but I recall
>lately some bit of news about a US decision as a member of the Security
>Council. Also, the UN site lists the US as a permanent member of the SC
>(a la the permanent 5):
>http://www.un.org/Overview/Organs/sc.html#MEMBERS
>Either I totally misunderstood the original news item (or remember it
>incorrectly), or something seriously changed. Can anyone fill me in on
>this? Searches on Google and MetaCrawler have proven unsuccessful;
>perhaps I've used the wrong search terms...
>
>--Alan
>
>---
>Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web
>site! http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
>You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
>To unsubscribe visit
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers

  • [internetworkers] Re: Iraq and (...shift of topic), Jason Laughlin, 02/11/2003