internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] chili (long)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] chili (long)
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:35:36 -0500

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:51:41PM -0500, Thomas Beckett spoke thusly:
> So my question for you, merry wanderers, is what makes a great chili
> great? A particular ingredient? Slow cooking? An iron pot? Share
> your chili secrets, please.

Luv. I mean, let's be honest - when i cook Chili, I cook because I
love the stuff, I love cooking it, I love the look on people's faces
when they taste it, I love the way it makes the house smell while it's
cooking...I just love the stuff. it's a wonder I don't make it weekly,
except Renee would kill me.

Before I get into the process, I better mention that making chili is a
very personal thing. I'm not gonna go into specific ingredients
because my choice is going to different from yours. Good chili can be
made with cheap ingredients, and still taste really, really good. A
lot of it is about the process.

Anyway, it's late for me, and I ramble on a bit. be warned. I skip
back and forward as I remember things when I wrote this, so if it's a
bit disjointed, ask me for some clarification in the am *grin*

I like hot & spicy, but my wife and kids don't (yet). So first
and foremost, I go for flavor. Every pot is different, because I'm
always fine-tuning the recipe. You can use whatever base you like - even
the usual stuff from the three-alarm kit. it's basically the same
ingredients for everyone - some savory veggies, the meat, tomato(s),
salt, black pepper, beans.

Then it's off to the spice rack. For me it's usually a combination of:
Hickory Salt, traditional chili powder, some home-made chili powder I
picked up in New Mexico, Bay leaves, and whatever else feels right that day.

Finally a little something extra from the liquor cabinet. Most usually
tequila, but sometimes I break out the Johnny Walker Black label, or
maybe some Jim Beam, or whatever happens to feel right at the
time. Heck, stir in a bottle of that dark beer you have leftover in
the back of the fridge.

I *NEVER* cook chili less than 24 hours if I can help it. Hell,
sometimes I'll cook it 24, then put it in the 'fridge overnight, then
cook it again the next day. it's always better that second day *grin*

After all that, about an hour before serving, I try to balance the
flavor out to a mild. I can add my own hot, and a lot of hot is
personal. I don't want to burn out the flavor with hot stuff. So if
it's still a but spicy, stir in a little sugar. not hot enough? Add a
little more of the New Mexican stuff.

Last bits - serving. I go for a full table - the chili, crackers,
fresh bread, pickled jalapinos, grated cheese (medium cheddar or
Cheddar Jack), sour cream, extra chili powder, beer for the grown ups
that want some.

Damn, now I'm hungry. I know what I'm cooking for Saturday dinner....

--
-- Kevin Sonney --