internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 1984ish?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 1984ish?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:49:32 -0500

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 12:05:49AM -0500, machett AT ibiblio.org spoke thusly:

> ...I just heard about this so-called Poindexter Plan, DARPA's Total
> Information Awareness project. At first glance, I am appalled; but I
> honestly don't know enough yet to be certain.
> What are everyone's opinions?

Let's take John Poindexter - the mastermind behind iran-Contra - and
the idea that every monetary transaction you make should be logged,
analyzed, and kept by the government. This mean that the government
will ahve a record of every non-cash transaction you make, and be able
to monitor it for "suspicious" activity.

So you ahve a sudden spike in iternet usage and a drop in music
purchases? You think the government won't know? How about a large
expense on computer parts?

Suspicious? Could you be breaking the law? Do you really want feds
knocking on your door because you spent "too much money" at the local
computer show? Or the Gun & Knife show?

1984 nothing. At least in Orwell's world you knew you were being
watched.

--
-- Kevin Sonney --