internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Good news for you Scotch-o-philes!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Good news for you Scotch-o-philes!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:38:11 -0400

Before everyone gets excited, Lagavulin and Laphroiage are not that hard to
find at local ABC Stores. The thread from last month was a quest for a bar
that served good scotch.

For those not familiar with our state run monopoly on liquor (ABC Stores),
they all have the option of selling the same stuff. Depending on the local
patrons, they will stock up-market, or cheap stuff (or both). If there is
something in particular you are looking for, ask your friendly local ABC
staff to see the "approved price list" (or whatever it is called) of stuff
they can order. Or, download the Quarterly Price List in Adobe Acrobat
format:

http://www.ncabc.com/pricing/

If what you are looking for ain't on the list, it is my understanding that
no ABC store in the state will have it, though you may special order it:

"The Commission will approve special orders of products not on the approved
price list when a local ABC board has a request from a customer. This
merchandise must be purchased in full case allotments and be paid for in
advance. After the product is paid for the Commission will order it from the
proper vendor and when received at the state warehouse ship it to the local
board where the order originated. The special order process normally takes
four to six weeks."

Want to know why booze is so expensive?

http://www.ncabc.com/pricing/PriceBreakdown.asp

$30.87 Distiller's Price (12 bottle case/80 proof)
\/
Federal Tax + State Tax + ABC Markup + Misc. Charges
\/
$103.871495 Consumer's price (12 bottle case/80 proof)

In other words:

Distiller sells a bottle to NC for $2.57, and we pay $8.75 after taxes
and markup...

And, without further disruption, the list of Single Malt Scotch available
for purchase in single bottles by individuals in NC.

Enjoy,
David

==================================

OBAN CLASSIC MALT 14Y 86.0 .75L
TALISKER MALT 10Y 91.6 .75L
DALWHINNIE CLASSIC MALT 15Y 86.0 .75L
CRAGGANMORE MALT 12Y 80.0 .75L
LAGAVULIN CLASSIC MALT 16Y 86.0 .75L
GLENKINCHIE 10Y 86.0 .75L
ABERLOUR 15Y 86.0 .75L
ABERLOUR GLENLIVET 10Y 86.0 .75L
THE GLENLIVET 12Y 80.0 1.75L
THE GLENLIVET 12Y 80.0 .75L
THE GLENLIVET 12Y 80.0 .375L
THE GLENLIVET 18Y 86.0 .75L
GLENLIVET FRENCH OAK EDITION 12Y 80.0 .75L
CARDHU HIGHLAND MALT 12Y 80.0 .75L
THE DALMORE CIGAR MALT 86.0 .75L
THE DALMORE 12Y 86.0 .75L
GLEN GARIOCH 10Y 80.0 .75L
GLENFIDDICH 30Y 80.0 .75L
GLENFIDDICH SPECIAL RESERVE 12Y 80.0 1.75L
GLENFIDDICH SPECIAL RESERVE 12Y 80.0 .75L
GLENFIDDICH SPECIAL RESERVE 12Y 80.0 .375L
GLENMORANGIE 18Y 86.0 .75L
GLENMORANGIE 10Y 86.0 .75L
GLENMORANGIE PORT WOOD FINISH 12Y 86.0 .75L
GLENMORANGIE SHERRY WOOD FINISH 12Y 86.0 .75L
THE MACALLAN 12Y 86.0 .75L
LAPHROAIG 10Y 86.0 .75L
SCAPA 12Y 80.0 .75L
KNOCKANDO 12Y 86.0 .75L
THE MACALLAN 15Y 86.0 .75L
THE MACALLAN 18Y 86.0 .75L
THE MACALLAN ANNIVERSARY MALT 25Y 86.0 .75L
ISLE OF JURA 10Y 86.0 .75L
BUNNAHABHAIN 12Y 86.0 .75L
SPEYBURN 10Y 86.0 .75L
MCCLELLAND'S ISLAY 80.0 .75L
MCCLELLAND'S HIGHLAND 80.0 .75L
MCCLELLAND'S LOWLAND 80.0 .75L
MCCLELLAND'S 16Y 80.0 .75L
BALVENIE PORTWOOD 21Y 86.0 .75L
BALVENIE SINGLE BARREL 15Y 100.8 .75L
BALVENIE DOUBLEWOOD 12Y 86.8 .75L
BALVENIE FOUNDERS RESERVE 10Y 86.8 .75L
AUCHENTOSHAN SELECT 80.0 .75L
BOWMORE 12Y 80.0 .75L
GLEN SALEN 80.0 .75L
HIGHLAND PARK 12Y 86.0 .75L
GLENFIDDICH SOLERA RESERVE 15Y 80.0 .75L
GLENFIDDICH ANCIENT RESERVE 18Y 86.0 .75L
GLENFARCLAS 12Y 86.0 .75L
LISMORE 5Y 80.0 .75L
TOMATIN 12Y 86.0 .75L