internetworkers - god, cars, etc.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: god, cars, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:11:36 -0400

1) I stopped saying the Pledge back in high school. Just stopped one
day, started reading a book, didn't even stand up. Nobody noticed.
Hey. I was an *artist*, dammit, and the flag was just a symbol. Who
was to be master? Me. Nobody seemed to care at all. If I'd been in
Kansas, I'd probably have been burned alive.

2) I have a 1995 Toyota Tocoma that I got at Carmax. It's a truck. It
runs. Don't get a black one, it's too hot in the summer. Heather
has a Chrysler Sebring convertible. It runs. Comfy, too. Never
understood the whole "my truck is bigger than your truck" thing;
the only thing that matters for a truck (not a "sport utility
vehicle", whateverthehellthatis) is whether it can carry a full
sheet of drywall lying down in the bed. Mine can't. Next truck I
get, if I get another one, will be able to carry a full sheet of
drywall. Hey, a guy's got to have standards.

3) After the revolution, I will buy a hybrid car.

4) The lady at Carmax was nice to me, but it was pretty clear she was
only in it for the money. The guy who sold us Heather's car was a
dirtbag, who was only in it for the money. I've known a lot of car
salesmen in my life (I used to pump gas in a station smack dab in
the middle of Brewer, Maine's "car dealership row") and they're all
pretty much evil /qua/ car salesmen, but most of those I've known
are pretty decent guys once you get to know them. Appeal to their
sense of humanity, whatever, but never forget you're dealing with
a car salesman. I went to carmax because I'm really bad at that.
I get angry when people try to screw me over, so I removed the
question of debate from the picture. YMMV.

5) That Dave M. is a very funny guy :)

  • god, cars, etc., Steven Champeon, 06/27/2002