internetworkers - Re: [Fwd: Library filtering law overturned]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Library filtering law overturned]
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:27:44 -0400

Good article on the recent ruling against CIPA... I esp. like the part where
the writer suggests that congress was snookered with a good ol' smoke n'
mirrors demo.

"Do we really want private companies deciding what the public is entitled to
know? Shall we reward them with tax dollars in exchange for putting blinders
on us in a public place? SurfControl blocked The Register in its entirety
because we ran a story explaining how to defeat its software. If they'll pull
a self-serving stunt like that, then what's to stop them blocking sites that
run news/editorial items like this one which merely criticizes their product
and corporate ethics? What's to stop them taking a kickback from another
company to block content critical of their products or corporate ethics? Their
banned URL lists are proprietary, and they'll take you to court for trying to
find out what's in those files. "