internetworkers - Re: Computers 'Understanding' Emotions??

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Computers 'Understanding' Emotions??
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:51:22 -0400

> > Now, in addition to
> > knowing where the mouse pointer is and what
> >
> your user typed last, you can know how
> > they *feel.*
>
> As an early, easy task, they can
> train the software to recognize when someone flips the bird.  "Recognize
> THIS you stinkin'lump of silicon!"  Crotch-grabbing is only a step beyond
that.  "I got yer
> server error RIGHTHERE!"

Ah... but the computer would just remain arrogantly stoic. The processor would spike for a moment, but only to process the input. Then it would be on with it's life, without a care in the world for us.

The problem is that these XXXX computers get whatever they need, without regard for how we feel. And we supposedly 'own' them. Ha!

Dogs are way more loyal and compassionate.

Sony's on the righ track:

http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=LFEBO15DC3UT4CRBAEKSFFAKEEATIIWD?type=technologynews&StoryID=925684