internetworkers - New favorite lunch spot (was Linux distros)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: New favorite lunch spot (was Linux distros)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:03:41 -0400

At 11:46 AM 4/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
I'm in more of a Slab-O-Cow mood myself.

Then have I got a place for you to check out: The Barbecue Joint. (Vegetarians need read no further.)

It just opened at 630 Weaver Dairy Road in Chapel Hill, near the intersection of WD and Sunrise. It's a classic NC barbecue spot wrought hip. The food is incredible.

Yes, they have tender juicy barbecue (you choose the sauce) and slaw, but also such wonders as a duck salad, crabcakes, and homemade sausages. (They had some awesome kielbasa today featured in the "Killer Kowalski" platter along with a mushroom piroshki and golden beet borscht.) They've got some side vegetables, including the claimed "best collards in the world" (I'm reserving judgement on that, as I cook a killer collard myself). The corn is flavored with poblanos, yum!

The owners are some guys from the Chapel Hill restaurant scene, notably including Damon who used to be the chef at Henry's. Just can't say enough about how great the food is. They must put crack in it or something.

The atmosphere is simple -- it's a lunch counter. As you might expect, it is priced slightly higher than you'd pay at an ordinary lunch counter. It's worth the premium, and worth the trip.

Thomas master of the run-on sentence Beckett

  • New favorite lunch spot (was Linux distros), Thomas Beckett, 04/28/2002