internetworkers - THOUGHT POLICE: we are becoming the taliban

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: THOUGHT POLICE: we are becoming the taliban
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:59:27 -0400

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/29/democracy/index.html

i would argue that this article is well worth your time...

<teaser>
And our first goal must be to understand why Western culture -- with all its
consumer toys, action movies and seemingly unlimited freedoms -- is not as
compelling to these millions of young people as a religious mission whose
greatest expression of faith is martyrdom.
</teaser>

...because if they already *had* all of those things, they would be as fat,
lazy and distracted as we are...

[thus, lowering the 'scintillating appeal' of dying in a fiery
explosion - IMHO]

drm

  • THOUGHT POLICE: we are becoming the taliban, David R. Matusiak, 10/01/2001