internetworkers - Re: Irony?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeff LeRose <lerose AT rtci.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Irony?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:55:34 -0400

Irony in the US is limited to small areas of the country in order to
confuse and befuddle visitors and people from the South.
Except for a small area around 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue it is almost
never practiced south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Other Ironic areas of the country that I'm familiar with, can be found
in NYC and northern NJ.
It is probably due to the fact that people in the South actually listen
when you say something and take your comments literally (they understand
the English language).
Either that or they are too polite to tell someone that saying the
opposite of what is true really doesn't make much sense, unless you are
caught in some sort of time warp where it is considered culturally
savvy.
Talking about politics and the Media with cynicism, has a limited effect
since just stating the facts often will be confused with Irony.
Irony also works best when both participants have had multiple
cocktails, another limiting factor in the South where Beer and Wine are
the mainstays.

Jeff