internetworkers - Re: staroffice calc

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: staroffice calc
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:54:42 -0400

At 08:49 PM 6/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:
A Dimarts 26 Juny 2001 10:53, vàreu escriure:
> Does anybody have experience with StarOffice, and in particular
> StarOffice Calc? I'm wondering how it compares to M$ Office & Excel.
> The only reason I use Word is for interoperability with most of the
> business world.

I bit the bulet and plunked down the money for the full version of Adobe Acrobat so I can generate PDf files out of anything that I can print. PDF format is now the format I use for inter-organization document transfers.

If both the sender and receiver have the full blown version of Adobe, you can use the comment functions to mark up documents. And these actually work as opposed to the comment functions in Word that keep getting screwed up and occasionally crash Word. Also, the person making comments can export just their comments and send back to the author, who can then import the comment files from multiple people into one PDF file. Yes, I know that in theory Word has similar functions. But my experience has been that the Adobe code works much better than the MS Word code.

So if I were able to dictate the standard office suite for an organization, I'd be tempted to say to use Star Office for intra company information and use PDF for inter-company communications and/or Star Office converters/exporters. One thing's for sure, you don't have to worry about those pesky "smart tags" with Star Office. (Or Open Office, or whatever it's called)

But then, no one has recently asked me to step in as standards dictator. :-( Maybe I need to polish my resume' some more.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.sff.net/people/powers/ true stories
"the revolution will not be televised" http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/

  • Re: staroffice calc, Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve, 07/02/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: staroffice calc, Calvin Powers, 07/11/2001