internetworkers - Re: Getting rid of extra font tags?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Getting rid of extra font tags?
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:18:12 -0400

on Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:57:40AM -0400, Michael S Czeiszperger wrote:
> The first person to put up my site used an HTML editor that put font
> tags around *everything* even though the same font was used almost
> everywhere. This is making editing the site a bear, especially when
> editing the raw HTML.

Yes, but it means your site will still display as intended in Netscape
3.*. Hey, even the lowly FONT tag has its place. Fortunately, nobody uses
NS3 anymore, so feel free to clean the site up.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up this HTML-mess,
> other than editing every page by hand?

Dave Raggett's Tidy:

http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

It's a bit quirky, but quite good.

Depending on what editor was used to generate your pages, there may
also be filters specifically designed to deal with that sort of
crud. I know that BBEdit has a Dreamweaver cleaner-upper, and there
are many GoLive and FrontPage and PageMill filters as well. You don't
mention what platform you're running, though, on either the server or
the desktop, so beyond that, you're on your own.

Good luck.