internetworkers - Re: Watch a hacker work the system

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Watch a hacker work the system
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:48:51 -0400

on Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 10:11:35AM -0400, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve wrote:
> Do you want to know how the krakers (dark hackers) live and work? How
> much they make a year? What's their schedule? How they get their credit
> card numbers? Check this link.
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/550567.asp?cp1=1

I think they're confusing spammers and other folks. Most of the
spammers I've tracked over the past couple of years aren't crackers;
most of them are too stupid to turn off file sharing on their own
boxes. And the idea that crackers bother to fish for AOL accounts is
so silly - why bother when you can buy 5 million addresses on a CD for
$50? Never mind that most, if not all, of them are fake (I get lots of
spam at mpeo AT hesketh.com, for example) or constructed from LHS plus
any random RHS they can come up with (so, if the address me AT example.com
gets on a ratware CD, you can count on there being any number of other
me@ addresses, at major domains like aol, yahoo, hotmail, etc.) Last
time I checked my hotmail account, I had two hotmail admin messages
and almost 300 spam messages, even though the address has never been
published.)

For a real look at how professional spammers work, see:

http://www.google.com/search?q=rodona+garst

tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/