internetworkers - Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:14:16 -0500

Then inform the author of that piece that the spin he put on his article is incorrect. You know those people in Silicon Valley and the mercurycenter, thinking they are the center of the technological universe.

At 11:10 AM 1/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
on Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 10:13:55AM -0500, saundrakaerubel.com wrote:
> Privacy Bill Would Require Permission to Use Cookies
> Senator John Edwards re-introduced a bill that would require Web
> sites to get permission from visitors before tracking their movements
> online. The North Carolina Democrat's bill stakes out an aggressive
> position in the debate over Internet privacy, requiring Web sites to
> reveal their use of "cookies," technology that commonly runs in the
> background without the knowledge of the visitor.

"Spyware Control and Privacy Protection Act of 2000"
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:s.03180:

Um, if you read the bill you'll see that it explicitly excludes the use
of cookies:

2f:

(3) COMPUTER SOFTWARE- (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the
term `computer software' means any program designed to cause a
computer to perform a desired function or functions.

(B) The term does not include a text file, or cookie, placed on a
person's computer system by an Internet service provider, interactive
computer service, or commercial Internet website to return information
to the Internet service provider, interactive computer service,
commercial Internet website, or third party if the person subsequently
uses the Internet service provider or interactive computer service, or
accesses the commercial Internet website.

Unless I have the wrong bill, which is possible. There is a "Consumer
Privacy Protection Act", S.2606, but Edwards is only a co-sponsor on
that bill, which was introduced in May of last year.

Anyway.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/

You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com

  • Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards, saundrakaerubel.com, 01/30/2001