internetworkers - Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Privacy Bill Sponsored by NC Democrat, Senator John Edwards
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:20:30 -0500

On Tuesday 30 January 2001 10:13, you wrote:
> Privacy Bill Would Require Permission to Use Cookies
> Senator John Edwards re-introduced a bill that would require Web
> sites to get permission from visitors before tracking their movements
> online. The North Carolina Democrat's bill stakes out an aggressive
> position in the debate over Internet privacy, requiring Web sites to
> reveal their use of "cookies," technology that commonly runs in the
> background without the knowledge of the visitor.
> Read the article: Mercury Center @
> http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/internet/docs/794449l.ht

Is anyone familiar with this legislation? I think requiring blanket
permission for cookies is going a little too far. I can see the problem with
having the banner ad servers track your movement between sites, but cookies
are a very effective and secure way of tracking users on a single site. I
can't see any privacy issue in not having to log into a site every time I
visit.

--
Michael S Czeiszperger | czei AT webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc. | http://www.webperfcenter.com