internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: December 05, 2000

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: December 05, 2000
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:21:22 -0500

Steve, I like your site. I'm using IE 5 on a Win2k laptop High Color
16bit 1280 x 1024.
One issue I would have is, with "old eyes", the calendar is a bit hard
to read since it is in very small type. This is especially true for the
month string. After scrolling a bit in months, I found myself wondering
what month I was observing. Also, if no events are contained in a month,
I might put something like "No events scheduled, send me some." where
the events list would appear.
On the Cultural Sites page, it is interesting to have the graphics
depicting the home pages, but I wonder how much it adds to the content.
They seem to take up a lot of space and so you have to scroll more. I
have no clue what would be better, but I wonder if dividing the sites up
into "sections" (if that is possible) could be a solution. Something
like historical locations, museums, vacation spots, etc.
One thing that popped into my head as I was thinking about the lists of
sites is that you might consider what will happen when you start adding
dozens of additional sites. The scrolling issue gets more intense when
that happens and you may be forced to divide into sections at that
point.
The graphics look great on my screen other than the black type fades a
bit at the ends of the link strings. Black against brown, I guess. Not a
biggie since I could read it.
The graphics look great, but would take some download time on a 28.8
modem.
Good job on the site. Caveat, I am a scientist, programmer geek, NOT a
designer so don't take anything I say about design as gospel.

Job Finders
I also wondered about these job sites. There has to be some funds
involved somewhere. I got the idea that they were similar to the singles
sites where they lure unsuspecting people into paying for the idea of
something special.
I have had a hybrid geek opening for months with little success in
filling it. It is a mix of quality assurance, instrumentation
administration, and computer system tasks for someone with a science
background. I wondered about going to those sites to try to fill it, but
I always wondered whether the on-line job things were worth the trouble.
I'll be interested in hearing more about what y'all have to say on the
subject.

Roger (in RTP, looking hard for that hybrid geek)