internetworkers - RE: lochs, bens, glens and the way things are named

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: "\"tengu typed, not\"" <tengu AT unc.edu>, InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: lochs, bens, glens and the way things are named
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:30:49 -0400 (EDT)

When I lived in Scotland, I used to hang out with the folks at the School of
Scottish Studies. Edinburgh hosts a folk music festival each spring. One of
the singers had a song called "Leave Us Our Glens"

The song was about how everyone who wasn't Scottish was coming to Scotland
and buying up the land making it unaffordable for the Scots to own anything.
The refrain went something like:

You can take our Lochs (translate: loch = lake)
and our Bens (translate: ben = hill, mountain)
But leave us our Glenns...
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glen Goyne...

(translate: glen = really good single malt whiskey, not a thicket where bambi
lives)

Also, did you notice that there seems to be an overwhelming tendancy to name
things after well known European places, but spell the name incorrectly.

In Cary - Oxxford Hunt

In RTP - Edinbourough

grumble, grumble, grumble

Regards,

Joanna

Joanna Wolfe
Technical Support Manager
Oxford University Press, USA
2001 Evans Road
Cary, NC 27513
v: (919) 677-0977 ext. 5242
f: (919) 677-2654
c: (919) 244-7696
e: wolfe AT oup-usa.org
w: www.oup-usa.org

><rant>
>Just West of Lochside Dr., East of Lochview Dr, Loch Cove La. and Loch
>Vale La., and NW of Lochberry La. is a body of water the town named
>"Lochmere Lake."
>
>loch; (Loch Lomond) from Scottish loch, lake
>mere; (mermaid), from Old English mere, sea, lake, pond;
>
>"Lakelake Lake."
>
>They've got lakes but no city reservoir. I imagine this is the kind of
>forward-thinking urban planning that causes folks to openly mock the "town
>that developers built."
>I lived in Cary for thirty days a year ago, and in that time I saw five
>separate trophy wives in fives separate jog bra/stretch pant ensembles
>each struggling with her very own untrained dalmation.
>
>Cary: Can't Afford Raleigh Yet
></rant>
>---
>Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.
>- Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, UTCS
>

>---
>Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
>http://metalab.unc.edu/internetworkers/
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: wolfe AT oup-usa.org
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

  • RE: lochs, bens, glens and the way things are named, Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977, 08/16/2000