internetworkers - Re: culturalexploitation.com?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: culturalexploitation.com?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:35:29 -0400

At 09:31 PM 4/25/00 -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
>this reminds me of two recent quotes.
>
>first one from the "One Head Bang Too Many" Department:
>"It is ... sickening to know that our art is being traded like a commodity
>rather than the art that it is," says Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich
>(speaking about Napster).

Except that near as I can tell, it's not being traded like a
commodity - commodities are generally assumed to be worth money.
I've no clue whether what Napster is doing is right or wrong,
but I can't see what's wrong with wanting people to pay you
for the work that you do, even if the work is making music.
I'd be pretty annoyed if someone expected me to just give away
my work on the basis of some theory that it'd be a big incentive
for people to come back and buy it. If Limp Bizkit wants to do
that, great, but I've got little sympathy with the notion that
everyone else should too. It's right up there with people who
claim a band's sold out once they're making enough money to
pay their bills. Like art shouldn't be worth anything, and all
artists should be starving ones.

Cheers!
-Rachel

tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://hesketh.com/careers/
Rachel Cox | voice: 919.834.2552 x16 | http://www.hesketh.com