internetworkers - Re: knockoff site pas de deux [somewhat stupid]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "j. alfred prufrock" <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: knockoff site pas de deux [somewhat stupid]
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:50:50 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:
> Moral Statement #3: one is truly self-actualized when one's work and
> personal life are seamlessly blended.

borg.

i work to live. i don't live to work.

i find the zen concept of appropriate work terribly naive. but then, zen
is all about cultivating a terrible naivete. i like terrible naivete.

we live in a pyramid scheme where for every person seamlessly blending
into their work, hundreds are required to support that hubris. there is
great pride and romanticism in that effort. self-actualization is not
necessary. the self is always already actualized. pinch yourself and you
will be reminded. body is self. you may refer to -idea- of self, which
is other-extinguishing. distinguishing between work and life is
necessary for other-actualization within the self. other-actualization
is necessary against self-extermination. discussion requires more
bandwidth than beer. discussion is not germane. beer is germane. beer is
seemless. resistance is futile. resist the borg. you will be seamlessly
assimilated. resist.

moral statement #4: as humans, vain futility is our calling.

> Ahem. There are several very competent *local* Internet attorneys,
> too.

i only mentioned this because someone on the list apparently forwarded
my previous recommendation to susan herself. she wrote to thank me for
the referral and provide her business points of contact. i'm sure there
are several competent local internet attorneys. i only mentioned susan
to begin with because people were talking of taking matters into their
own hands in ways that would almost certainly prove foolhardy. no other
specific internet attorneys, local or otherwise, were being put forward.
i put forward the best i know. in these days of legal specialization,
one of the worst aspects of trying to find a lawyer to handle any one
specific case is to find an attorney versed in the specific
specialization one seeks. you've said as much to me yourself. please
name local names or refer me to the faq. names are important. names are
self's idea of other. i call you tom. i call you. i apologize.

chris calloway, inventor of naivete

  • Re: knockoff site pas de deux [somewhat stupid], j. alfred prufrock, 02/22/2000