internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:26:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> Here is one for you.
>
> http://www.urbanfetch.com/
>
> remind anyone of amazon?

There's a big difference between influence and theft, IMHO. Joe can prove
that his site was *stolen* & reused, byte per byte. These guys can claim
that they simply borrowed certain components of an overarching interface
concept. I can't tell you how many tab interfaces I've seen, nor how many
"shopping cart in a circle" icons.

> We need to start a web site just for the purpose of keeping track of these
> incidents.

If we do, we'd better be damn careful to distinguish between:

1) this site was stolen from this site (which, as has been pointed
out already, amounts to libel or slander or something ugly)

and

2) "gee, this site sure looks a lot like this, pre-existing site"

Maybe we could let people vote on whether a site was stolen or not.

Steve