internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:13:00 -0500

Good ideas. I would stress that you need to be able to "prove" the
designs are your original work. This is not so simple. Most of us are
not all that good at keeping detailed records and official printouts.
Submitting copyright applications is one way to deal with this since it
enforces the legalese work. Does anyone have a system they use that
works for them and is simple to do?
My lady always sends in copyright apps for her original drawings and
design work. This is a slight pain, but it makes it all easy if you ever
need to deal with someone copying your work. You can send in a wad of
them on one application and it is not very expensive.
Does anyone have an idea if this type of design rip off is widespread?
I could see it as very easy to set up a business and just copy all types
of sites and sell them to unsuspecting clients. I could see that it
would be very difficult to find the sites unless you just run across
them on the web. I find it unbelievable that people wouldn't even change
the text or colors of the designs they rip off. That is bold.