internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Software Development Nightmares

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: czei at webperformanceinc.com (Michael Czeiszperger)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Software Development Nightmares
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 15:05:33 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:41 PM, BigLee Haslup wrote:

> The 90 Day Wonder.

At one particularly weird post in my career I had to attend VP level
meetings to fill in for my manager who was in the hospital. As his
hospital stay extended to months I learned that the most important
thing to say at the monthly meet was that your project was "on
schedule". I marveled at manager's ability to report the same thing
month after month, when I knew for a fact the projects had failed to
meet any deadlines at all.

As to why software projects take so long, I can't say. One VP remarked
that "I wrote a VB program while watching the SuperBowl", so why is
writing a simple AI program to detect what's playing on every radio
station in the country taking so long?

Michael Czeiszperger
czei at webperformanceinc dot com
Web Performance, Inc.