internetworkers - [internetworkers] nc.rr.com slow past few days

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bacon at twinight.org (Jeff Bacon)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] nc.rr.com slow past few days
  • Date: Thu Feb 20 15:03:07 2003

I ran exchange servers for nigh unto three years, and never
really found them to be perverse, or terribly unstable. Poorly designed
in some ways, perhaps, though this is probably more a function of its
history than anything. Devoid of toolsets unix people take for granted,
certainly. However, for a small workgroup of people - 50-500, say -
I feel the exchange/lookout! combination makes a fairly good groupware
solution, if you can accept the licensing costs (and the costs for
the antivirus s/w you need to buy with it). The only real problem
as an admin is that you have to accept that the thinking
behind microsoft products is generally not the same as that
behind freeware/open-ware products.

On the other hand, if I were a major ISP, I'd not be attempting
to route all my mail through exchange and microsoft's smtp
service, I do not think - unless I were suicidal.