ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Thanks to Don Sizemore

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: paul jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org, labratz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Thanks to Don Sizemore
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:25:27 -0500

Almost anyone who has had anything to do with ibiblio.org over the past decade (and a few years before that) has had the pleasure of working with Don Sizemore. Don began working at ibiblio as an undergrad and continued working with us here during the time he completed his Masters in Information Science. Then after a brief haitus, which seemed much too long to me, Don returned as a full time systems admin in 2006.

To say that Don has been our sysadmin misses the point in so many ways. Don's patience, kindness, willingness to help, and his great ability to support and teach students the ways of open source and of sharing have formed the spirit of this place and are some of the reasons that I'm glad to come here to work everyday. There have been many wonderful folks who have worked at ibiblio, but few who have been with us as long or had as deep an impact.

Don is unique in many ways, but in particular for his ability to make us all see that we can be better, kinder and more thoughtful people in our work and in our lives.

I am sorry to see him leave us for Journalism, but I am certain that he will have the same deep and lasting presence that he has had here.

Don will be gone but only across the Quad -- and he leaves an important past for us to admire and to live up to.

Thanks Don.