ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] UPDATE moving ibiblio mail to Google GMail

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Ken Chestnutt <ken AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org, ibiblio webgroup discussion list <webgroup AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] UPDATE moving ibiblio mail to Google GMail
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:17:46 -0400

Hi Folks,
Here is an update on our plans to move all of the ibiblio.org email addresses to Google GMail.

The switchover will be March 31, Probably early in the morning.  Once we repoint your MX record to Google, your mail will stop coming to our servers and will flow to your new gmail account.  For a period, you will be able to log into your old email account but you will stop getting new email in it.

I am preparing a FAQ for everyone to see but let me outline some of the highlights.  Google does not do any marketing on the email they host for us.  They also do not display ads in this email.  If and when you decide to leave, your mail will be deleted.  It is not stored by Google or anyone else.

Your email address will not change.  It will look exactly like it looks now.  If your email address is x_user AT ibiblio.org, after we migrate to gmail, it will continue to be x_user AT ibiblio.org.

We will no longer impose a 500 mb. limit on mail.  I think the current limit is around 7 gig.

Mail for Virtual host will not change.  We will continue to host a postfix mail server with an alias file for all our virtual hosts.  It will continue to be forwarded exactly as it is forwarded now.  Of course, if your virtual address is forwarded to an ibiblio.org email address, it will go to gmail.

The listserv will not be affected at all.

Gmail supports IMAP.  So if you use, for example, thunderbird to check your mail on our servers, you can simply point it to Gmail and everything will continue to work.

It looks like we will be able to copy any mail stored on our servers to your Google mail account but we will do it at your request.

We are migrating to GMail to protect your mail.  Currently, your mail service is sitting on a five year old, far out of warrenty server.  If that server dies, your mail will stop till we can figure out what wrong and how to fix it.  Sometimes it is difficult to repair a five year old far out of warrenty server.

If you have any questions, please open a ticket at http://ibiblio.org/help and we will try to answer it and add it to the FAQ we are building for everyone to read.

thanks

ken

--
ken chestnutt
linux administrator

http://shinydistraction.com
I blog so you don't have to.

  • [ibiblio-announce] UPDATE moving ibiblio mail to Google GMail, Ken Chestnutt, 03/11/2009