ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] login.ibiblio.org back in service

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] login.ibiblio.org back in service
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:25:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

login.ibiblio.org is back in service, though we're still configuring a few services and will certainly be ironing out problems over the next few days.

Now that the box is clean, we ask that each of you to change your login passwords by SSHing in to login.ibiblio.org, and at the prompt issuing:

$ passwd

Those who have been with us for a while remember that the last time we upgraded login.ibiblio.org, we did away with its insecure telnet service. This time, I'm pushing to disable our insecure FTP service in favor of the SCP/SFTP services built in to SSH. Dreamweaver's FTP component and most FTP clients now support secure logins, so I don't see a compelling reason to continue offering ProFTPD, which sends your password in the clear each time you connect.

Again, we'll be dealing with necessary changes to the new login.ibiblio throughout the day and week, but we're excited to have a freshly-upgraded, clean box.

If you have any trouble, need a utility installed, etc. please do let us know via http://www.ibiblio.org/help

We apologize for the trouble, appreciate your patience, and thank you for continuing to be members of the ibiblio.org community.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org systems 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] login.ibiblio.org back in service, Don Sizemore, 10/21/2008